Tim Johnson Watch

Representative Tim Johnson was elected to represent the residents of Illinois' 15th Congressional District in Central Illinois. His constituents should know what he's doing.

Name:
Location: 15th Congressional District, Illinois, United States

A concerned citizen of Central Illinois.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Tim Johnson Watch To Continue

Tim Johnson won reelection last night by a 58-42 margin, a substantial victory, but also a slip from his 61-39 margin in 2004.

Thanks to David Gill, for investing so much time, energy, and passion in a race that (given the heavy Republican tilt in voter registration) was destined to be an uphill battle. TJW hopes that Dr. Gill, or another worthy challenger, will continue to fight for the representation the citizens of the Fifteenth deserve. The political environment will continue for some time to be very, very toxic to Republicans, unless George Bush decides to make a real change in course -- an outcome I find highly unlikely.

Tim Johnson Watch will not disappear. For a while, TJW may have less frequent updates, especially as Mr. Johnson's new status as a member of the minority party offers him fewer opportunities to help the GOP leadership ram through bills like the Medicare "reform" law, while at the same time Democratic House leaders promise that there will be genuine transparency and accountability in the House itself.

Nonetheless, TJW will continue to act as a local watchdog for Mr. Johnson, and will post on his doings as events warrant.

5 Comments:

Blogger Philosophe Forum said...

I'm with you. Hopefully, the new Democratic Majority will start requesting redistricting in IL.

Keeping people like Weller, TJ, & Shimkus in office is a crime against the social interests of everyone.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Jack Straw said...

Thank you for continuing to watch this guy.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At this time, I don't know if I'll seek the Democratic nomination again. But I do disagree with the statement that "it's clear ...that he cannot win this race...." in reference to myself. In the last mid-terms, in 2002, Mr. Johnson won by 30 points over the combined totals of Mr. Hartke and Mr. Estabrook; through nearly four years of hard work, we've managed to cut that deficit in half (I lost this year 57.5 to 42.5). When counties are viewed individually, it becomes even more clear that myself and my staffers and volunteers have made tremendous strides. One example: Vermilion County, where Mr. Johnson has steadily descended, from 65% in 2002 to 60% in 2004 (Gill 1), and to 54% this year (Gill 2). There are many, many similar examples when one looks at the data of the 22 counties over the past 3 elections. Perhaps there are "better" candidates out there, but I'm certain that I'm well on my way to defeating Mr. Johnson, should I decide to throw my hat in the ring again.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I"m doing a story on Tim JOhnson's health complications and what this means for the democrats and republicans in senate.
Can you call me for a radio interview? I do news for KPFA in the San Francisco Bay Area. My deadline is 5pm, PST 12-13-06
Thansk,
Christina Aanestad
(510) 848-6767 ext. 699

5:14 PM  
Anonymous IBEW Illinois said...

Paul Krugman as an opinion source. Perhaps a little more objectivity would be in order?

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home